Your team will be learning and performing:
- The Café Wall optical illusion
- The Linking Paper Clips magic trick
The Real Magic of Collaboration:
As you prepare to work together to complete your team tasks, here are two powerful ‘collaboration’ quotes to inspire you.
“The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own.” – Benjamin Disraeli
“We cannot hold a torch to light another’s path without brightening our own.” – Ben Sweetland
Team Task #1: Props Inventory & Team Roles – 6 Minutes
Here Are Props You Need:
- A $5 bill (any domination will work)
- 4 paper clips (Any size. 2 to use and 2 are extra)
- 2 narrow rubber bands that will fit around the bill (1 to use and 1 extra)
- Optical illusion & instructions download
Team Roles To Assign:
- Optical Illusion Performer – must be able to download and print off optical illusion and instructions
- Magic Trick Performer – must have all the magic trick props
- Team Leader – keep team on schedule
- Production Assistants – help performers learn optical illusion & magic trick
Team Task #2: Learning Your Optical Illusion & Magic Trick – 15 Minutes
Optical Illusion Performer:
- Download and print off your optical illusion and instructions
- Read instructions and learn how to present your optical illusion
- TIP: If you can’t print it, download and open the PDF file on your Smartphone. You can hold your phone screen up to the camera so the audience can see the optical illusion.
Magic Trick Performer:
- This video will show you how to perform The Linking Paper Clips
- TIP: If you are watching this video on your smart phone, click the ‘full screen’ icon on the bottom right corner of the frame to enlarge the video.
Team Task #3: Rehearse Your Optical Illusion & Magic Trick – 6 Minutes
- Optical Illusion Performer – rehearse presenting your optical illusion
- Magic Trick Performer – rehearse performing your magic trick
- Rest of the team observes and offers feedback
Here are some on camera & presentation tips:
- Your primary goal is connection NOT perfection. Focus on communicating with your audience. Mistakes, both presentation and technical, will always happen.
- Smile and have FUN. Your positive energy or lack of will project to the audience.
- Have your webcam at eye level and try to look into the camera lens not your computer screen.
- Act is if you are always on camera because you may not always get advanced notice that you’re going live on the stream.
- Stay in frame. Remember anything outside of the camera frame is not seen by the audience.
- Avoid quick and jerky movements. They may not show up well on camera.
- Speak clearly and smoothly and not too fast. Help make it easy for the audience to hear you.
- If wearing wired ear buds be aware of possible movement constrictions due to the wire.
- Avoid distracting backgrounds. Be aware of what is behind you.
- Avoid any light source shining from behind you into the webcam lens.
- HAVE FUN
Team Task #4: Perform In Magic Show
- Each team has 4 minutes maximum to perform their optical illusion and magic trick.
Team Task #5: Choose the Grand Magic Champion
- After the Magic Show each participant will be able to vote via a Zoom Poll for the team who had the most engaging and entertaining performance.